Reports have been circulating, advising consumers that the forthcoming 2012 Toyota RAV4 EV will be available exclusively to fleet and car sharing programs. This is NOT true.
You can imagine how devastating this misinformation was to the many drivers who already had their hearts set on the next-gen Toyota RAV4 EV, too. Clearly a product of harmonic collaboration between Toyota and Tesla Motors, it's peaked many interests with its redesigned exterior; heavier powertrain; uncompromised acceleration rate; approximate 100-mile driving range; face-lifted from bumper and grille; refreshed head- and fog lamps; and luxe, new 18-inch alloy wheels.
Happily, Toyota was able to nip the false information in the bud, contending in a recent press release, "We'd like to set the record straight. The 2012 RAV4 EV will definitely be sold to the general public...Toyota is the only manufacturer brining two battery electric vehicles to the market in 2012 - the RAV4 EV and Scion iQ EV."1
Toyota RAV4 EV Evolutions- 1995 - First Toyota RAV4 EV prototype wins Scandinavian Electric Car Rally
- 1995 - Toyota places RAV4 EV prototype at institutions around the state of California
- 1996 - Toyota launches stage one of its zero-emission vehicle initiative - a test program featuring two-door RAV4 EV prototypes
- 1996 - Toyota debuts RAV4 EV at Los Angeles Auto Show
- 1996 - Toyota officially introduces first-generation RAV4 EV
- 1997 - Toyota announces stage two of its zero-emission vehicle initiative, underlining the first time the Toyota RAV4 EV was available for sale in the fleet market
- 2001 - Toyota decides to sell and lease the RAV4 EV to the general public in California
- 2002 - Toyota RAV4 EV available to California residents via an online ordering system
- 2003 - First-generation Toyota RAV4 EV production ends
- 2010 - Toyota introduces second-generation RAV4 EV developed with Tesla Motors
- 2011 - Toyota Confirms next-generation RAV4 EV launch for 2012
To learn more about either the next-gen Toyota RAV4 EV or Scion iQ (based on the Toyota iQ sold in Japan), contact East Coast Toyota Scion today. Or, visit us in person.
Source: 1 http://pressroom.toyota.com/releases/toyota+rav4+ev+coming+to+market+in+2012.htm